The recommended treatment for lymphoedema is Complex Lymphoedema Therapy (CLT).
CLT is sometimes also known as DLT – Decongestive Lymphatic Therapy, Complex Physical Therapy (CPT) or Complex Decongestive therapy (CDT).
Treatment for lymphoedema, although not a cure, helps control the symptoms of swelling, skin changes and functional impairment. Lymphoedema treatment is ongoing in order to maintain the gains in the affected area in the best possible way. Although it takes time and effort, lymphoedema treatment can be used to effectively control your lymphoedema and maintain a good quality of life.
Complex Lymphoedema Therapy (CLT)
There are four components to CLT:
- Specialised massage techniques– known as Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) – to stimulate the flow of fluid in the lymphatic system and reduce swelling. The massage techniques are designed to direct lymph fluid to functioning lymphatic territories and helps to establish collateral drainage pathways. Oedema Clinics take pride in offering lymphoedema treatment with the inclusion of the PhysioTouch in our MLD technique toolbox.
- Compression bandages and garments – to move fluid out of the affected limb, minimise further build-up and maintain the volume of the affected limb.
- Skin care– to keep the skin in good condition and reduce the chances of infection.
- Exercises– to use muscles in the affected limb to improve lymph drainage.
- Education – vital to empower the individual to manage and maintain at home. Empowering and active involvement lead to improved outcomes.
Services we offer